Saturday, April 2, 2011

Last Post

After much thought and personal deliberation I am discontinuing my Blog as Williams Lake CAO. I am doing this with some reservation as I believe there are readers who have enjoyed my postings. However, there are a number of important considerations that have contributed to my decision. When I first established my blog, I felt there was a gap in communication between City Hall and the community. We did not have a dedicated 'communications' function and for the most part, I was filling that role. I also felt our web site needed more to offer readers. Much has changed in the past year with the City hiring a Communications Coordinator. The gap in communication no longer exists as we now have capacity to provide consistent information to the public. We have also finalized a new web site which is set to come on line in mid April and will provide readers with a new look, improved format and enhanced information. More recently, I have become the target of some fairly prolific allegations and subsequent media interest. I recognize this is an occupational hazard in my line of work and I have no problem in shouldering the criticism and responding with the facts. However, I am also aware of the political undercurrents associated with some of the coverage and comentary and that is of concern to me. As CAO, I am responsible for administration of the City's operations, supporting our staff, fulfilling Council's policy direction and providing Council with technical and professional advice. Administration in local government has no role in the politics of local government. That is not to say that those of us in administration shouldn't be aware of, and tuned into the political scene as obviously it does affect our elected officials. Being on the political front line is the exclusive turf of the Mayor and Council and when Administration is drawn into the politics of local government, the credibility of Administration can be compromised. As much as I have enjoyed writing on my blog and sharing my perspectives with my readers, at this point I feel my time is best spent attending to the important work of moving the City's operations forward and supporting Council in their governance role. As always, if anyone has any questions or concerns with the administration of the City, my door at City is always open and I can be reached by phone or e-mail at bcarruthers@williamslake.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment