Friday, December 31, 2010

All the Best in 2011

2010 was my first full year as the CAO for the City of Williams Lake and it was a very gratifying year in my career. What really stands out for me is the people I have the privilege of working with. The City of Williams Lake has a very dedicated and committed staff, whether it be the Works Yard, Complex, City Hall, Airport, RCMP or Fire hall. From my experience, our staff fulfill their roles with pride and do a great job for City residents. When I take stock of all it takes to keep our City operating, it always comes down to the people. They keep our Airport runway clear, watch our children as they swim and skate, fight fires, keep our water running, plow the streets, enforce our bylaws and handle the public's inquiries to name just a few.

In addition to leading a great group of staff, I have the opportunity of working with an equally committed City Council. It isn't my place as a CAO to offer my opinions or assessment of the decisions made by Council. However, I can speak to the respect and confidence that all of Council has shown our staff throughout the year and their collective fostering of a productive working relationship between Council and Administration. Due to the 'hands-on' nature of local government, it is not uncommon for the roles of the elected body and administration to become blurred. I believe the success of this past year has been a dedicated effort of all concerned to respect and support the respective roles of Council and staff.

I am very much looking forward to 2011 and all of the opportunities that are ahead of us. As with any year, the budget is a critical and delicate process for both staff and Council. At the end of the day, staff must present Council with the best information possible to allow them to make their financial decisions for the upcoming year.

Some key areas where I and my staff will be focusing in 2011 include the implementation of a service delivery review and resident household survey. Economic development will continue to be a high priority as we identify and pursue opportunities to diversify our tax base and support existing businesses and industry. Community Forest, District Heating, Airport land development and development of the mountain biking industry are some examples of initiatives we will pursue. Some changes people will see in 2011 include a much improved City web site and improved communication with residents. We will also be working to improve options for the public to pay their bills and taxes.


As 2011 marks the end of this current Council's term, City administration will be busy preparing for the municipal election in November. This is a major undertaking every three years and diligence in planning and preparation ensures a smooth process for the candidates and the electorate.

I very much enjoy my role as the CAO for the City of Williams Lake and I look forward to serving and supporting Council, staff and the community in the coming year.

Happy New Year to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment